MÃ©xico DF [Mexico]
Sagrado CorazÃ³n Parish. PantitlÃ¡n
Diocese of Mexico. Property of the diocese. Ad nutum episcopi.
The Sagrado Corazón parish is situated in the suburb of Pantitlán -a composition of lands reclaimed from the Texcoco Lake from 1930 onwards. In May of 1955, its settlers –of modest means- began construction of its first church. On the 17th of October 1960 the first Recollects arrived, and two days later the parish was erected. At this early stage there was neither parochial house nor completed temple. The friars encountered nothing more than two humble chapels (under construction) dedicated to San José and Nuestra Señora del Carmen (the second of which no longer pertains to the parish). They immediately set about the construction of a parochial house, which was completed in 1962. The provisional chapel was located on the ground floor. In 1968 work on the San José temple was completed, from where the community attends to the north-western zone of the immense parish. The first stone of the parish church was laid on January 25th 1970; and building was completed by 1975. On the 1st of April 1978 they inaugurated a new parochial house. In 1982 they began construction of the Nuestra Señora de la Consolación y San Ezequiel Moreno chapel; it was inaugurated on September 2nd, 1984. A strong devotion to Saint Ezekiel Moreno has arisen in the vicinity of the chapel bearing his name.
The parish is both populous and vivacious. Its present day population is close to 90,000 middle to low class inhabitants – 95% of whom are Catholic. On Sundays the community celebrates 13 masses, with an attendance of some 8,000 to 9,000 participants; and on weekdays they celebrate 4, with an attendance of eight- or nine-hundred. The majority of the existent groups have inserted themselves into the parish’s pastoral scheme, which, at the beginning of 1995, adopted the SINE programme, and has already created 14 communities. The charismatic renewal; the apostolate of prayer; the third Order of St. Francis; the miraculous medal; nocturnal adoration and the Christian family movement all subsist within the parish confines.
Three Sacred Heart Missionary Sisters cover the areas of human development and catechesis. They are assisted by 121 volunteers, and their instruction reaches 1,500 of the faithful: 900 children, 100 adolescents, 60 youngsters and 348 adults. As of late they have broadened their compass, and currently offer catechetical instruction in 14 sectors of the parish. Medical clinics are in operation in both the parish’s principal seat and the church of San José. One hundred and fifty food parcels are distributed on a monthly basis at the expense of the parish. A Religious from the community is a member of the 3rd Vicariate Council, and the parish serves as a centre of preparation for the Deanery’s Missionaries.
The parish’s activities are conveyed to the faithful by means of the bulletin El Mensajero (The Messenger) – 9,000 copies of which are printed every month.
Province of St. Nicholas of Tolentine. Paseo de la Habana, 167, 28036, Madrid, Spain.