Diocese of Pamplona. Property of the Order. Titular of the Church: Virgen del Camino. Canonical erection: May the 23th of 1828.
On March the 22nd
1829, the Province of Saint Nicholas of Tolentine of the Order of the Augustinian Recollects took possession of the Chapel of Our Lady of the Way in Monteagudo (Navarre). It was then a humble chapel with one house for the caretaker and one stable, and in the ceremony 43 recollect friars took part.
Before taking possession, the Province built a new church and redesigned the building. In 1848 it was extended with a new wing and a gallery, and in 1854 a new floor was made above.
In the beginning of the 20th
Century, the Augustinian Recollect Felix Barea made a new niche for the Virgin; in 1921 the old passageway for access to the Church was replaced by the actual square. In 1924 the façade of the church was made and in 1928 the architect Angel Marin redesigned the Church to celebrate the first centenary of the convent. The lateral wings were made longer, the columns were made lighter, the temple received more light and the old urns were replaced by baroque altars. The temple is now 37 meters long and 13, 30 meters wide. At the same time a new chapel for the noviciate and a beautiful library was built.
On May the 1st
1986 the present convent was designed from nothing, whose building had been made necessary by the demolition of the old part of the building and the restoration of the rest of the monastery with the renovation of the old quarters.
The church still keeps from 1906 the incorrupt body of Saint Ezequiel Moreno, previously in the church, and now in a new chapel as part of the remodelling of the convent in 1986.
This convent has been from the beginning the noviciate of the Province. Until 1865 it was also the only house for students. From that year until 1950 it housed, with several interruptions, the Philosophy students.
The community has always developed a discreet apostolic activity in the monastery church and in some of the surrounding villages. That increased with the acceptation of the chaplaincy of the nuns in Tulebras (1979) and the parishes of Monteagudo (February the 9th
1978), Tulebras and Barillas (March the 1st
1988). This later included the chaplaincy of the Augustinian Recollect Missionaries in Monteagudo and, sometimes, help given to the Little Sisters of the Elder in Cascante, Mary Immaculate in Tudela, and other parishes in the region. The Secular Augustinian-Recollect Fraternity was established on August the 19th
During the year 2006, the First Centenary of the Death of Saint Ezequiel Moreno, a Museum was opened dedicated to the saint and with a tribute of remembrance to more than 2,000 Augustinian Recollect friars who professed in this convent.
The parishes attended from the community of Monteagudo belong to little villages with mostly elderly inhabitants and those dedicated to agriculture. Monteagudo
. Saint Mary Magdalene Parish. Population: 1,149. Barillas
. Saint Michael Parish. Population: 189. Tulebras
. Our Lady of Assumption Parish. Population: 131. MONTEAGUDO (NAVARRE)
: Spain Region
: Navarre Province
: Navarre Foundation
: - Area
: 10, 91 km2 Population
: 1,149 pop. Density
: 105.32 pop. /Km2 GDP per capita
(Spain): 30,622 $USA Coordinates
: 41º 57’ 50'' North, 1º 41' 25'' West Altitude
: 404 meters above sea level Time
: UTC + 1 Temperature
: 4-32 ºC Rainfall
: 227, 70 mm Distance to Pamplona
: 108 km. Coat of Arms